Sunday, January 3, 2010

My favorite Christmas memories number 2

A friend sent me a quick email. Would I mind finding some things for a baby girl that was born and the parents did not have anything for her. ANYTHING... not even a crib. She left the hospital with a couple of blankets and outfits.

Oh my goodness - I LOVE to do things like this! This is ME from head to toe. I love to ask people to help. I love to explain things like this to my kids. I love to see what is provided and I am always, ALWAYS surprised!

A short posting on Facebook asked if anyone wanted to be a Christmas angel to this little girl. First reply from a generous friend with a huge heart. Second reply from a woman whose very nature is nurturing. Third reply from the single mom whom we were going to adopt her baby (see all the adoption postings - it is a long story), but she decided to keep it.

Yep, the mom and I are friends on Facebook. And here is this single mom who is up to her ears taking care of darling 6 month old Bethany and she wants me to know she has clothes to donate. Seriously - see what I mean by pleasant surprises? I am so proud of that mom! Chris, never a big Facebook fan, told me he wa
s a Facebook believer - with a one day posting we were able to get all the baby essentials.

As people brought things over, I had them drop the bags in the living room - which just happens to be where we put the Christmas tree. There was a stash of baby things: a stroller, clothes, blankets, a diaper bag, the most darling bedding EVER, towels - and with 2 cash donations we even got a crib and mattress. All things baby!!

And that is when it hit me... to me these "gifts" which found their way into our living room were the most meaningful things under the tree this year. Random people giving gifts and expecting n
othing in return - they were just doing it because a part of them loves to help others.

Could anything be more appropriate? A crib for a little baby that did not have a bed, in honor of another baby that was placed in a manger.

Away in a manger, no crib for a bed,
The little Lord Jesus laid down His sweet head.
The stars in the sky looked down where He lay,
The little Lord Jesus, asleep on the hay.

3 comments:

Honeycutt Family said...

So awesome! God is GREAT!
And I need to get you some things I have too. I have a snow/bunting suit if she needs that and some clothes and a few little toys. Let me know. Maybe we can get together soon and I'll give it all to you....

Puppy day care said...

I didn't know that you remained in touch with the birth mother. What a blessing you can be to her as she tries to raise her little one.

Just April... said...

I got goosebumps at the end of this post where you tied it into how Christ came to us in the same way, with nothing. Facebook really can be part of good things!